What is sideloading?
Avid and casual readers of e-books will come across e-books not purchased from within an e-reader’s ecosystem (in other words, you didn’t download the e-book directly from Kobo, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) Occasionally readers will win an e-book in a giveaway contest, purchase a book through a third-party vendor like Smashwords, or you may want to upload your own novels/documents for reading or design testing. Since I get this question a lot from readers who’ve purchased my e-book cards or fellow authors and readers, I thought I’d put some instructions in a central place on my site for easy reference.
Sideloading E-Books onto a Kobo Aura E-Reader
Adding books or PDFs using your computer
- You can connect your eReader to your computer and then drag and drop books into your eReader library. Before you begin, add the books to your computer.
- On a Windows computer, connect your eReader to your computer using the included USB cable.
- Tap Connect on your eReader.
- When Windows prompts you for an action, click Open folder to view files. A desktop explorer window will open, showing the contents of your eReader.
- Open a second desktop explorer window and display the books you want to add to your eReader.
- Drag and drop your books into the eReader contents.
More detailed instructions for Kobo Aura E-Reader
Kobo Glo E-Reader
Kobo Touch E-Reader
Sideloading E-books onto a Kindle E-Reader
Kindle Fire Email Method:
Kindle Fire Instructions
Kindle Paperwhite Instructions:
Barnes & Noble
Sideloading E-Books onto a Nook E-Reader
Nook Tutorial side loading content with Windows Explorer and Calibre:
Sideloading Content onto Your NOOK 1st Edition